Tuesday, March 18, 2008

An Athlete at any age...

Just finished my first official workout at the Power House gym....man did I feel like a toys r us kid in that place. It was hard for me not to do every exercise I could think of. As soon as I got there I began warming up with 80 pound dumbbell snatches and an older gentleman approached me and asked me if I was preparing for the Scottish Games....I replied "no sir I am a fighter and a MMA Coach", he said the reason he asked that is because he has very rarely ever seen anyone do that particular exercise. Which I have never seen anyone outside the internet do the exercise either. After talking for a while I learned that he is a 3 time National Scottish Games Champion and he is 64 YEARS OLD!!!! He is not huge by bodybuilding standards but he has the "power" look, he is dense and thick, he was moving some big poundages too on every exercise he did. He was very down to earth and just loves to compete as an athlete, he doesn't even care if he wins money or wins the competitions.... he loves the entirety of his sport. It was an honor to meet this 64 year old athlete and just reaffirmed my drive to work hard and never place limitations on my self. He even gave me tips on making my dumbbell snatch much better...

No comments: