Monday, March 17, 2008

Always on my mind....

You know...there is a quote that is constantly in my head and has been firmly beat into me over the years. I am not sure who originally said it but whoever it was, was a genius.

Here it is...

For what level of mediocrity will you settle for?

That goes through my mind everyday, all day long. Although no one has ever accused me of being average or mediocre at anything I do it still pushes me and drives me on a daily and sometimes minute by minute basis. I hate the term average or mediocre...hell... I hate the term "good".... Most people think it is great to be called "good" at something. There is another quote that comes to mind which states "The good is the enemy of the best"...have no clue who wrote it but it is a good one as well. I honestly do not think that I am "good", "great", or the best at anything. I will not be solidified by such terms, I have an insatiable desire to improve in every aspect of the martial arts and life in general. I can never be to fast, strong, technical, or agile enough. There is no such thing as enough in my world..(so I think anyway).

Last week I was humbled by a 10 year old girl who is in Mr. Gilberts Junior Kenpo class. She is also an amazing gymnast as well. She may be tiny but her core strength and pound for pound strength out does most people I have ever met or trained with. I did her 5min abdominal routine with her and of course was pathetic in my performance. I loved the fact that I could not do what she was capable of doing, which may sound strange to some. I am a firm believer the you can never be "humbled" enough...notice I didn't say humiliated. It was refreshing to see someone, correction.... an ATHLETE at her age to have that kind of core strength. Some may argue that she doesn't weigh very much or that gymnastics is way different than MMA....who cares...strength is strength especially when it is displayed under complete control. I respect and admire elite athletes in every sport...those that shatter the boundaries of the good and the best, who seek that ever elusive perfection knowing they will never fully obtain it but never stop trying to grab onto it with both hands regardless of what others "believe".

So the next time you hear the "lazy" voice in your head screaming and begging you to stop, remember to ask yourself "For what level of mediocrity will you settle for".....

No comments: