Friday, November 16, 2007

Basics, Basics, Basics

I just don't get it...seriously... Every time I watch the ultimate fighter it amazes me to see so many aspiring fighters that have almost no strong foundation. I will say that Danzig, and George are both very good in my opinion, which is due to their understanding of the fundamentals of fighting.

Distancing, Timing, Rhythm control are basic things that most people learn in the very beginining of stand up or ground game. One of the most basic things there is that I see done very poorly is proper footwork. It takes more than being able to "walk" around the ring or shoot on an opponent to effectively dominate or win a fight.

Proper footwork must be trained by itself at first before it is integrated with other skills. Isolation is the key to skill development regardless of your chosen fighting style. In order to become good or great at anything you have to isolate specific skills then progressively integrate them into your arsenal.

When in doubt.... go back to training the basics....

No comments: